Monday, 28 April 2014

Waste Not, Want Not.

Floral & Lace Leggings Refashion Ensemble
Last year, I bought a really pretty pair of floral leggings from NoMoreRack.com.  Normally, I don't care for flowery prints and what-not; but, I really liked the "autumny" colours.  However, I've been on refashion mode for a while, and thought these leggings would look much better at ballet-length.  Not wanting to waste any part of the pretty fabric, I turned the cut-off bottoms into matching, lace-trimmed fingerless gloves.  Ta Da! They're truly new designer label-worthy: Hooda Thunkitt ;oP


This refashion was REALLY simple! I LOVE simple! Below are the super easy steps:

Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Up The Empire!

Refashioned T-Shirt to Empire-Waist Maxi-Dress
Here is the result of my latest sewing brainstorm!  I refashioned one of my very  favourite old t-shirts, and turned it into this Empire-Waist Maxi-Dress with Wide Sash-Belt.

My poor t-shirt had been chucked to the back of a drawer.  It had a stain smack-dab in the front that just wouldn't come out. [Sigh!]  Unfortunately, the location of the stain did not lend itself to the use of appliqu├ęs, or similar creative disguises.

You see, I fondly deem my lovely t-shirt, with its feminine, crocheted bib front, carefully symmetrically-placed gold sequins, and fluttery cap sleeves as "an oldie, but a goodie", so I hadn't the heart to retire it to the rag bag.  [Sniff! Sniff!]

Saturday, 5 April 2014

Hunt For A Good Deal With This!


FRONT of Tote showing Tiger in the Tropical Print
I feel like I must, surely, have earned my stripes with this latest creation! I made it for my Mum who really liked the tropical print and coordinating-contrast fabric in citrus I picked to go with it, (shown within the "Material Girl" page of this blog).

BACK of Tote showing Tiger on the reverse
This "beast of a bag" idea started out as a simple tote design, then morphed into something a bit more elaborate; partly because the fat quarter wasn't quite large enough for what I had in mind.

Then, another complication occurred: originally, I thought it was a random tropical print, until I took it out of the plastic sleeve and unfolded it... Behold! A lovely tiger motif appeared! As the print direction became apparent, I had to alter my plans in order to accommodate this surprise: I had to cut the fat quarter in half, then arrange the halves so the print wouldn't be upside down on one side of the bag.