Monday, 25 August 2014

Je Ne Sais Quoi!

VOICI!  Here is my "Reversible Savoir-Faire Tablecloth"!
Reversible Savoir-Faire Tablecloth With Lace Corner Detail
I've been saving this charming French vinyl material since I bought a metre of it, (and a metre in one other pattern), on a stall during the Annual French Market in Saffron Walden last June.
Coordinating Blue Fabric Side
French-Vinyl Side
It's the first thing I've made for myself for quite a long time! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I've received compliments from visitors already!

CLOSE-UP Of Reverse-Side Material
I used the entire metre of vinyl material - it was the perfect size for my work table by the window.  The blue reverse-side fabric (shown to the right) was purchased at the Tuesday Market in Saffron Walden, and was only slightly larger than the metre of French vinyl.

The Tuesday market stall that sells various fabrics has a large basket with off-cuts and remnants selling for £2.00 each or £5.00 for three, regardless of size, fabric type, or quality. I've found some really good deals in that basket!

CLOSE-UP of Lace-Edged Corner
The tablecloth was super-easy to make, and took less than half an hour! I had to trim the reverse-side material to match the vinyl.  After placing the fabric right-sides facing, I pinned them in place.  Then, I opted to cut two lace doilies in halfFolding over both ends of each doily-piece, centred at each of the four corners, I pinned them in place - I don't know about you, but I've noticed that vinyl tablecloths tend to curl up at the corners, so I added the lace corner-keepers as a decorative means to hide any curled corners.

REVERSE-SIDE With Lace-Edged Corner
Once everything was pinned in place and pleasing to the eye, I straight-stitched about half-an-inch from the edges, using Coats & Clark Dual-Duty XP Variegated Blue Cloud Thread.  I left about a 4-inch opening to pull the material right-side out again.  In retrospect, I should have left a larger opening because I was worried about splitting seams when pulling the vinyl through; but, (thankfully!), no harm was done! Lastly, I chose a zigzag stitch all around to finish it off and close the opening.

 This was my first attempt at working with vinyl.  It was surprisingly easy to work with, needing nothing more special than a standard 90/14 machine needle.

I still have the full metre of the other French vinyl fabric which is, currently, earmarked for place-mats, and a lunch bag...  I'll add pictures of recently acquired fabrics to my "Material Girl" page soon.

Now that my French-chic "Reversible Savoir-Faire Vinyl Tablecloth" is finished, I think it adds a little...

 Je Ne Sais Quoi!